Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The non-show!

Is this a show or an event? Do an event can be a show or a show an event? What ever it was my little conclusion of an entire year of work in my studio. Lets not forget that the street became my studio for the second half of the year! I have to admit that I struggled a lot with this idea of bringing back into 4 white walls the information provided by my outdoor studio. After setting-up an arrangement in the gallery space for the review, I realized that the DISPLAY had noting to do with the actual work!

Why do I have to present something for my these show? The show will be NO SHOW! That was my reflexion when I moved to Philadelphia in august. I finally considered my thought of the time, and the non show became a new intervention. I decided to act the exact same way I act when I go out with the heads: arriving on-site without telling the assistance that this will append!

I would also like to share with you guys my conversation with Sean Stoops, an independent curator, introduced by Gerard - thank you Gerard - I basically talked about my work, my process and my non expectation every time I go out with the heads! I did not try to talked differently then when I talk to someone in the street, but be specific in my approach of the street and my interpretation of it. I am curious to hear what Sean as to say about my reflexion and the way I have been expressing it to him.

Hope you enjoyed the NON-SHOW! I really appreciated your participation to all of you and every time I go out with the heads - IN in this case - I get new information in order to create something more sophisticated in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting about the no-show, Louis. What I am most interested in is how your discarding the traditional object-based exhibit played with people. There was, I noticed, still a tendency to normalize the event (if artspeak can be thought of as 'normal') by calling it a "performance". I heard a few people looking into the empty area of the gallery and asking 'when does the performance begin?'.
This to me remains a problem. When Leslie was writing about Krauss' essay on sculpture in the expanded field, she opined that Krauss' categories (non-architecture and non-landscape) seemed dated. Perhaps more relevant ones here address public engagement and theater, and I think the task remains for Louis to chart his position in this expanded field.
But that's what a career is for, and if there's one thing I want to publicly applaud about the non-show, it's that you carried out your idea of using the street as a studio and tried to use the gallery as one for a night, rather than configuring it as some kind of tomb for a performance that we've missed. For all the problems that may arise from that maneuver, it is closer to what I believe lies at the core of your work than the well-mannered alternative that a conventional exhibit provides, and so your MFA show was the first show of your career, rather than the last obligation of your student-hood. That's a pretty big accomplishment, and a good way to begin. Congratulations.